Friday 20 May 2022

Sea City


Heh... I really must stop giggling whenever I see the words "Southampton City of Culture", which – given we're in the final run-off for that bizarre and temporary title – I see quite often around here. It's not big, and it's not clever, Michael: this is a serious business. We really don't see what is so funny. So, what do you say to Mr. Southampton?

Sorry, Mr. Southampton.
Louder?
Sorry, Mr. Southampton.

Anyway. To continue the subject of open exhibitions, there is going to be one in our wonderful City Art Gallery, one of the true bastions of actual culture around here, and I will naturally be entering a couple of submissions. My hopes are not high, though, as it's linked to the City of Culture bid, as you might expect, but themed as answers to the question: "What does culture mean to you?". Which, you have to suspect, really means, "Look, world, at what a bright, bushy-tailed, diverse, and vibrantly multicultural city we have here!" Which is hardly my stock in trade. I also suspect there won't be many pictures of people on a sofa watching Strictly, Bridgerton, or Sky Sports, which is what, I'm pretty sure, "culture" means to the vast majority of my neighbours.

However, in the process of looking through my files for possible entries, I've come across a number of overlooked photographs which – although hardly serving as any sort of answer to that particular question – struck me as worth sharing here, as they give a decent impression of life with a major port as your next-door neighbour, and the sea a few doors down.










Chim chiminey, chim chiminey... On the rooftops of Sarfampton, cor, wot a sight! (Apologies, if you find you can't get that out of your head in a hurry...).

4 comments:

Kent Wiley said...

Yeah, I've been waiting for more of these port pix for a long time. Thanks for posting some. They make me pine for the smell of the ocean, even the diesel fouled waterways of a busy port. Murky mountain runoff lake water is the closest we get around here. Not that I'm complaining...

Mike C. said...

Kent,

The funny thing is, I very rarely make it down to the waterfront, even though it's there. As I said to a friend recently, who was talking about sea swimming, the thing about Southampton Water is that it's only about 80% water... You don't want to get any on you.

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Isn't that the way we are? Only visitors or out of towners get you to see your local major sights/sites. Otherwise we take them for granted and pass them by in our daily lives of self importance.

Mike C. said...

Kent,

Ah, the legendary sights of Southampton! I think I prefer "self absorption" to "self importance", though ;)

Mike