Thursday 26 May 2022

Tides



There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat;
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
Julius Caesar, Act IV, scene 3
Over the centuries, the words of Shakespeare's Brutus, quoted above, will have struck a plangent chord in the hearts of many who somehow missed an important boat for which they had a ticket in their pocket, or at least thought they did. If you don't pick yourself up pretty smartly, you really can spend a lifetime hanging around on the dock of the bay, gazing at the horizon, watching the tide rolling in, wondering whether that ship will ever return – it won't – and what life might have been like had you only stepped aboard when the opportunity presented itself all those years ago.

I have no real complaints about my own life; shallows and miseries have not been my lot, and I am only rarely haunted by what might have been, had I but known the scope of ambition that once lay open before me. To be perfectly honest, I had very little idea what serious ambition was, or how you were supposed to go about pursuing it, at the time in my life when it might have made a difference. I can't speak for the privately educated, but aspiration as an extreme sport has never been taught or encouraged in state schools, even in the old grammar schools; your horizon was set at low-risk, achievable goals, defined by hard work, exam passes, and well-trodden career paths. Anything else was terra incognita, a mapless waste, a place to be avoided where dragons roamed, and the bones of reckless adventurers lay scattered on the ground.
 
There was a wisdom in this. By ignoring the existence of the Chancer's Boat, the one that goes on risky voyages to parts unknown, legions of us made it instead onto the ferry that crosses on a regular timetable from the world of precarious wage-work to salaried, well-pensioned comfort. Result! In fact, I'm pretty sure places on that Chancer's Boat cannot be guaranteed or reserved; there are no tickets, travel agents, or tour guides that will get you on board. Apart from the occasional innocent, fatefully or accidentally embarked on an astonishing adventure, getting aboard takes a special kind of motivation, the sharp-elbowed sort that takes no prisoners, brooks no opposition, and whatever other clichés of ruthless self-interest you care to mention. Even a Shakespeare or an Einstein must have had 3 a.m. twinges of regret at the betrayals, backstabbings, and outright thievery that would, I'm sure, have seemed entirely necessary along the way.

The thing about "exceptionalism" – the conviction that the normal rules don't apply to you – is that it quickly becomes a murky business, however pure its genesis. Despite what the "follow your dream" gurus would have us believe, to be gifted with game-changing abilities is not a career choice, an option open to anyone; not even to some clever narcissist endowed with over-abundant self-belief like our current Prime Minister. I'm sure a Shakespeare or an Einstein must have known who and what they were; that they were truly exceptional, the Real Thing, generation-defining geniuses. But, even so, raw talent is never enough in itself. Realising outstanding potential, like crime, depends on opportunity, motive, and means. 

Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Graveyard" (1751) is rightly regarded as one of the ornaments of English literature. At its core, the poem can be boiled down into a simple message: an awful lot of people with great potential have had to live simple, constrained lives, but this may have been no bad thing, given the harm done by ruthless power-seekers, and besides we're all gonna die, innit? (Trust me, I'm an Oxford-trained literary critic [1]). As a piece of ideology Gray's poem is open to all sorts of retrospective sniping – its melancholy quietism is pretty conservative – but its heart is sound and its sheer quality as a piece of verse keeps it buoyant in the literary charts. But it does raise the question: how many "mute inglorious Miltons" or "village-Hampdens" (nothing to do with football, apparently) still live unacknowledged and unfulfilled among us? And, provided they promise not to "wade through slaughter to a throne" – always a risk – what could or should be done about it?

To my mind, there have only ever been two answers: better schools and better social housing. "Better schools", that is, in the sense of safe, creative, and stimulating environments, staffed by excellent, well-paid, child-oriented professionals, who are capable of recognising and nurturing the many varieties of talent, but are also dedicated to bringing the best out of perfectly ordinary children. It doesn't seem a lot to ask. Such schools exist (apart from the "well-paid" bit) but that should be the description of all state schools everywhere. Sadly, it isn't. And "better social housing" means good, safe, well-maintained homes at an affordable rent for everyone who needs one, provided and managed by the local authority. The greatest and most consequential 20th-century crime in Britain was the selling off of our council housing, and the prevention of local authorities from remedying the situation by building more. I do not think this is an exaggeration. Without the good schools and council housing that came as standard with life in a British "New Town" in the 1950s and 60s, my life and those of everyone I grew up with would have been very different.

But, beyond those essential basics, we also need to shift the focus of aspiration within our neglected and under-resourced communities. Far too much attention is paid to the exceptional: the Premier League footballer, the champion boxer, the TV show host, the popular musical act, and all the other celebrity poster-people for improbable, lottery-scale "success". It's understandable, but nothing constrains social mobility as effectively as the idea that life is an all-or-nothing gamble. The true nature of the systematic, embedded privilege of the well-established, well-placed, and well-to-do is well-hidden behind the attention-grabbing blind of these wild-card outliers. By focussing ambition on flashy careers in broadcasting, music, and sport, too many young lives are doomed to disappointment – "shallows and miseries", indeed – their eyes having been diverted from the true prize: regular places on the ferry that leads from the world of precarious wage-work to solid middle-class professional jobs, secured by pursuing those low-risk, achievable goals, defined by hard work, exam passes, and well-trodden career paths. Boring, but true.

So, come on: the tide is in twice a day, and the boat leaves according to the published timetable. All aboard!




1. I think I've complained before about the "[university name]-trained" formula, encountered so frequently in journalism and popular literature. Other universities may differ in their approach, and things may have changed in more recent decades, but at the three universities at which I happened to study, "training" in any meaningful sense was not on the curriculum. In fact, I would suggest that the more prestigious the institution, the less likely anything resembling the "training" I would expect a plumber or an athlete to undergo will be taking place.

24 comments:

Huw said...

Mike,

Curiously Brutus's speech had a profound effect on me about six years ago, when I was pondering the wisdom of a promotion that I had been offered at work. I was walking a section of the North Downs Way and came across the Millennium stones in Gatton Park, one of which was inscribed with this. I thought I should take the boat while the tide was high.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8873/28508213765_d28e198354_c.jpg

Huw

Mike C. said...

Huw,

Yes, it's very much a "seize the day" sort of quote, isn't it? After all, if you're going to assassinate an emperor, as Omar Little says in The Wire, "If you come at the king, you best not miss"...

Personally, I have a history of looking at Golden Opportunities, giving them a good sniff, and walking away. I think, on balance, I've been a happier man for doing so, but who knows?

Mike

Huw said...

Mike,

I also distinctly remember being offered a 'golden opportunity' four years previous to that, and turning it down. It would have meant spent much less time with my daughters when they were tiny, and I'm glad I made the decision. But we never really know, do we?

Huw

Mike C. said...

Huw,

Exactly. Choosing to go part-time and to stay in one town were Big Decisions for me, largely motivated by (what I presumed to be) the benefits for my kids. Of course, this did mean depriving them of the massive motivation which seems to be provided by a thoroughly unhappy childhood... ;)

Mike

Huw said...

Although I do wonder what traumas were stored up as their dad took them to 'Music with Mummy' and nursery :-)

Huw

Mike C. said...

Huw,

Heh! Yes, I can remember feeling distinctly out of place at children's parties, although as most of the parents round our way seemed to be not much more than children themselves, in my mid-40s I was usually taken for a grandfather...

Mike

Stephen said...

Food for thought Mike. I agree with almost everything you say here. Photography and piloting [Aircraft] were my twin aspirations as a youngster. Needless to say, I ended up doing something else entirely, though I enjoy it for the most part…

Cheers.

Mike C. said...

Stephen,

If what you do pays the bills and provides a pension, stick with it! Photography and even flying can be done as hobbies (I was amazed to discover that one of my cousins has a pilot's license and a part-share in a light aircraft, a bit like a flying timeshare...).

Mike

Stephen said...

Cheers Mike. I'm doing photography as a hobby. [Piloting I can't afford at this point.]

Stephen.

old_bloke said...

One of my grandsons plays in a community-run football team in Sutton Coldfield. They've just lost their two best players because they're now old enough to be recruited into the "Academy" run by the nearest Premier League team (Aston Villa). Chasing the dream, at eight years of age . . .

Mike C. said...

old_bloke,

And don't you just know that most of those poor kids are only there to give the future stars someone to play against...

Mike

PaintingWithNumbers said...

The second photo invites me to walk down memory line as I recognise headmaster Jones, but alas, none of the pupils. Do you have any details of when the photo was taken?

Stephen

Mike C. said...

Stephen (PaintingWithNumbers),

That is my 3rd year at Alleynes, so 1967/68.

Mike

PaintingWithNumbers said...

Ah thank you.

That was the year I left Alleynes for pastures new. I think I can now identify Jim Button and Derek Matthews, and possibly David Painter and Nick Schuman. I can't see myself so I assume I had left prior to the date of the photo.

I may be completely off topic here so please forgive me. I was in class 1A in the 1965 intake and thereafter I was assigned into the B stream. I do remember you in that first year as being studious and quiet and, if my memory hasn't been degraded too much by the passage of time and booze, top of the class in most subjects.

I'm not really in a position to comment on your photography pieces but I do enjoy your more general commentaries (and rants) on life and experience etc.

Mike C. said...

PaintingWithNumbers,

An old Alleynes friend and I (one of several I'm still in regular touch with) have spent some time trying to put names to those faces, and managed quite a few of them (obviously, they're more familiar to us). We don't have Derek Matthews, though: which is he?

Yes, that would have been me... I emerged from my swotty shell in later years, quite dramatically in some respects. We formed a small counter-cultural cadre within the school, very much in tune with the times. A proud achievement was *not* being asked to become a prefect.

Mike

PaintingWithNumbers said...

Hi Mike,

I believe Derek Matthews is on the front row, 3rd from left (blond hair). I hope I am correct in believing this.

By the way, judging from your writing, you turned out all right!

The line "The ploughman homeward plods his weary way" from Gray's Elegy was given as "lines" to we naughty boys as punishment during detention at my new school after I had left Alleynes. Reading your piece where that same poem appears also prompted me to visit Memory Lane.

I hope I am not sounding too much like a nostalgic old git, crying into his beer and recalling the "good old days". God forbid!

Mike C. said...

Well, kind of you to say so.

Interesting -- we had front row 3rd as "Somebody Seymour-Smith", but that's not a face you'd mistake, if you knew him!

If you're curious, at Peartree I'm 2nd row, 4th from left; at Alleynes, front row, 6th from right; at college, front row, 7th from right.

BTW if you'd like a copy of the name-key to the Alleynes photo, drop me an email (address is in "See My Complete Profile" at top right of the blog screen).

Mike

PaintingWithNumbers said...

Hi Mike,

I've managed to magnify the photos. I think I was wrong to identify Derek Matthews as being on the front row. I now believe (no stronger than that) he is on the 3rd row, 6th on the left.

Is that Fergus Anstock on the 3rd row, 1st on the left?

I've also identified Frank Pearman, also in the B stream, with a high degree of confidence. And Jim Button similarly, but not David Painter. Those 3 were my muckers in 2B and 3B, all of us living in Knebworth or Datchworth (country bumpkins...)

I could never have picked you out from those 3 photos!

Yes, I would be interested in a name-tagged photo of the Alleynes photo. I will endeavour to leave my email address according to your instructions. Thanks very much for the offer.

Mike C. said...

Yes, that's Fergus, now a very wealthy man, a lawyer and racing stud owner... I'm not in touch, needless to say, although we sat in the same classrooms 1961-72.

Dave P. is 1st on the right, 3rd row. We were in the same scene for a few years in the 70s, he worked on a turkey farm, but I believe he went off to join Hare Krishna!

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

And who’s the RADICAL w/o a shirt in the front row of the last pic?

Mike C. said...

Kent,

I can't remember his name, but IIRC (and as you might guess from his size) he is American, probably a Rhodes Scholar. Serves to demonstrate that in those days no-one went to the gym...

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Aha, HE's the one all those NO SHOES NO SHIRT NO SERVICE signs from those days were put up to deny access to.

Mike C. said...

Kent,

Never saw those -- he must have gone around taking them down... Although there are only approx. 5 days each year in Britain when you might be tempted to take off your top and shoes anyway. That photo happens to document one of them in Summer '74.

A previous era here had "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" signs, allegedly, but I never saw those either. "No jeans or trainers" I did see quite often.

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Oh how we love to frequent establishments with a dress code ;-/

I guess it's for the "regulars," who want to keep out anyone new.