Monday 29 April 2024

Shipshaped

 I mentioned in March that I was compiling a book of uniformly square photographs of Southampton. In the end I made two slightly different versions: one in the "magazine" format, cheap enough to post out on spec to local galleries, and another, more expensive, as a conventional paperback book. Here it is, in the "book" version, which includes a final family history page not present in the magazine (click the central circular device for a full screen view):

I've given it the title "Shipshaped". Non-native speakers may not have come across the expression "shipshape" before, which means "neat, tidy, with everything in its proper place", as on a well-ordered ship. In this case, however, I've adapted it to reflect the way this city has been formed (or can be seen to have been formed) by its maritime aspect, whether directly, indirectly, or in imaginary ways.

As always, it is now available to buy on my Blurb bookstore here, either as the magazine or as a super-cheap PDF. Don't all rush at once... 😀

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Some nice pictures in there, Mike. (I think I mentioned before that I particularly like square format images.) And the little bit of history was good too.

Cheers,

Stephen.

DM said...

That is a beautiful compilation, Mr. C. Brings back many memories for me - the University, St. Denys, the Sports Centre and the mighty Itchen. That image of the fair on the Common is amazing - Huston, we have lift-off.

Mike C. said...

Thanks, DM, it's good to know it resonates with a sometime resident of the South Hampshire Conurbation!

It is a mystery to me why anyone actually pays to experience that sort of fairground ride... There's one that turns up on Bristol Downs most years that actually fires a capsule into the air on a giant rubber band, which then obeys the laws of physics and elasticity -- argh! It's a tragedy waiting to happen ("Screaming Teens Fired Into Avon Gorge: the band just snapped, says witness")...

Mike