Wednesday 16 February 2022

Ghostly Geisha


I was walking back home early on a frosty morning last week after dropping off our car for its MOT, when I saw that a notice board had been vandalised, torn from its mounting near some park railings, and left lying flat by the roadside. My eye was immediately caught by this ghostly geisha appearing out of the shreds of paper and frozen condensation.

Whether she is the remnant of some actual depiction of a woman, or the result of our old friend pareidolia I'm not sure. A curious mix of both, I suspect. But, either way, I have not manipulated this photograph at all. Which is not to say that I won't be doing so in future, of course...


2 comments:

amolitor said...

I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at here, and I have looked several times. I love it.

Mike C. said...

Isn't it strange? You think, those eyes *have* to be real, but then... Then you see the ghost of a smile in just the right place, but from a different, cartoonish register. Is that hair, or feathers, or ...?

It reminds me of what I used to enjoy most, photographically, but grew bored with, especially once everyone seemed to be at it. Maybe I'll start again... It's where the phone comes into its own, of course.

Mike