Sunday 3 October 2021

BSA21 Update

As only one of my two shortlisted pictures got hung in the 116th (!) Bath Society of Artists Open Exhibition, I had to go over to Bath for a second time on Saturday, this time to collect my unhung work. It was a very wet day, but luckily the Victoria Art Gallery is only a short walk from Bath Spa station.

While I was there I did get a chance to grab a shot of my picture "Descent (Southampton Water)" which has been hung rather sympathetically, and conveniently near the cash desk. Impulse purchase, anyone? And, look, that's me, No. 86 in the catalogue:

I presume some names are in bold because they are members of the Society, and not because of some random word-processing error. The overall standard of the 366 works on show is high – it's like a mini RA Summer Exhibition – even if, inevitably, something of a mixed bag. As always, though, I am prompted to question the sanity of many creators of 3-D work; mental unrest seems so much less disturbing when translated into two dimensions and displayed flat against a wall, rather than cast in knobbly bronze or wrought in tortured steel and placed on a podium. As for ceramicists, well, I blame Grayson Perry.

Update to the Update: I've been asked for the dimensions of the framed print of "Descent". It's roughly 55cm x 40cm (21.5" x 15.5").

2 comments:

Huw said...

Mike,
Good stuff, always nice to be exhibiting. The picture above yours makes me chuckle as I took an almost identical one in 2003 (although not as accomplished). Holiday snaps!
Huw

Mike C. said...

Huw,

You've been to Petra? Must be an extraordinary place to visit. That print claims to be a "resin engraving", a process I know nothing about, but must surely be based on a photo pretty much identical to yours!

There's a very rare book by Emmet Gowin on Petra I've never managed to find at a sensible price, although most if not all of the images are reproduced in that must-have Aperture compendium from 2013, now available for £29.99 on Amazon I see! What a bargain, for one of the most beautifully-produced books I've ever come across.

Mike