Friday 15 November 2019

Small Black Cameras


Southampton Sports Ground (Panasonic LX15)

I think many "serious" photographers affect a disdain for gearheads that is often more than a little disingenuous. Obviously, the kind of person whose main interest is serially comparing, discussing, and accumulating gear, rather than actually producing photographs, is into a different kind of activity than an actual, active photographer, but "comparative hardware studies" are, after all, something that can be done professionally. I mean, blimey, you can even earn a few quid and a following just by videoing yourself opening the boxes! Plus, photography being a gear-based enterprise, for any actual, active photographer not to have strong opinions about the gear they use would, frankly, be weird. These don't have to be a pixel-peeping fixation on costly, high-spec apparatus: I myself am a "kit zoom" kind of guy, prefer lower-end cameras, favour Fuji, and mainly buy my stuff second-hand, almost as a matter of principle. But that's a strong set of opinions in itself.

However, immune as I am to most gear-talk and gear-lust, one ridiculous obsession that I do have is with the "small black camera". I can't resist them. It all started with an Olympus Mju and an Olympus XA, back in the days of film, and has gone on from there: whenever I see a used, well-engineered black compact going for a good price, I struggle to pass it by. It's an especially ridiculous obsession, because I have little or no need for yet another such device, and usually end up selling them on. For a start, the image quality is rarely good enough, although the Fuji X20 and X70 are exceptional in this regard (and I have both, which is why I have little or no need for yet another such device).

Usually, I find that the handling characteristics of the more recent compacts are impossibly fiddly. Tiny cameras bristling with tinier buttons and dials (and, worst of all, with a touch-screen occupying most of the back) are prone to springing unwanted surprises in actual use by clumsy adult hands, such as switching the camera into movie mode, moving the focus point into a top corner, or kicking off some unknown and unwanted function such as "Beard Recognition", or "Apocalypse Emulation". Looking at many modern cameras, it can be hard to recall that, like the best breads and beers, a photograph is still just the product of three simple, traditional ingredients – aperture, shutter speed, and focus – plus the new-fangled novelty of variable ISO. Anything else is packaging.

Southampton Sports Ground skip (Panasonic LX15)

The latest specimen compact to pass through my hands – it followed me home, honest – is a Panasonic LX15 (or LX10 in the US). This is actually a really great little camera, unfairly maligned as "disappointing" by many of its initial reviewers when it appeared in 2016. I've been impressed by the quality of its raw files, and it handles very well: much better, IMHO, than that overpraised succession of Sony RX100 models, which I have found (yes, I've had a couple of those, too...) to be too-tiny booby-traps with buttons far too prone to fat-finger malfunctions. But, nice as the Panasonic is, I really have no practical use for this latest small black camera, so, as usual, having sated my curiosity, I'll be selling it on.

However, for a change, I thought I'd pass on the chance of a genuine bargain to a reader of this blog. Here's the deal. The camera is in excellent, unmarked condition (I suspect its previous owner was one of those serial gearheads, as it's barely been used), boxed with all its bits and pieces, and comes with the genuine, dedicated (and expensive!) Panasonic leather case (also boxed). It's yours for £250 plus P&P (probably about £10 within the UK; anywhere else, we'll have to see) [1]. If you're interested, email me (my address is in the "View My Complete Profile" section at top right). Save me from myself! [2]

Stress test: passed! ("contre jour", no lens hood...)
(Panasonic LX15)

1. If you don't think that's a bargain, check out the used prices for the camera and the case, both in top condition. 
2. I can change, I swear! However, if Fuji were ever to decide to launch a version of their APS-C sensor X70 with a modest zoom (say, 35-70mm equivalent, preferably a version of the novel, manual, twist-to-start-up pancake zoom on the small-sensor X20, which I love), then I might even consider buying one NEW... Has to be black, though. Silver (or, FFS, brown) compact cameras are just silly.

7 comments:

Doug Plummer said...

Interesting moment to see this post. I just got back from a month in Europe (yes, I was in the UK for a bit, Edinburgh, then Chester, a bit far from you, I think) and I came back loathing my camera. I have a Fujifilm X-T30, which I though would be an improvement over the Sony A-whatever thing I had with the terrible shutter lag and the bouncing into impenetrable modes for no apparent reason. This one just can't be bothered to wake up when I'm ready to take a picture, until it stretches and has its morning tea. and there's a button that I can't not activate that gives me a screen choice of 16 alterations I can make, when I just want to see what I want to take a picture of. My Canon 5D is a joy to use, but it's impractical as a walking around camera unless someone's paying me. So I'm still hunting for a camera that I can live with. Like a Leica M-3, no bells, no whistles.

Mike C. said...

Hi Doug,

Frustrating isn't it? I suppose the obvious problem is that most photographic "civilians" have decided their phone is more than good enough (mine is my daughter's cast-off iphone 4s, so I wouldn't know...), so that's where the energy and investment is.

My holiday compromise is the Fuji X20. Tiny sensor, and only 12MP, but it takes a decent picture -- they have a particular "dry" graininess I like -- and has the look and feel of a proper camera! If I want better results, I now pack a Fuji XM1 body, add-on grip, the 27mm pancake, and the cheapo 15-45 pancake zoom: I'm like an assassin in a movie, assembling a sniper rifle out of his wash-kit...

TBH, if I could get over the need for a zoom as I've got over needing a viewfinder, I'd never use anything other than the X70: it's the perfect camera for me. If you ever see one (they discontinued it almost immediately -- some issue with Sony and the sensor) just buy it. It surprised me how quickly I adapted to a fixed 28mm-equivalent view of the world. It's Leica-solid: by comparison, the Ricoh GR (yep, had one of those, too) feels plasticky as well as an an awkward shape to hold.

Hope you got some good stuff, anyway -- I'll pop over later and have a look!

Mike

Thomas Rink said...

Sorry, Mike, but I just bought a Fuji X-T20 plus 18mm f/2 lens second-hand as a walkaround camera, so I'm not in the market for your Panasonic. Like Doug Plummer said, handling is a bit finicky, there are lots of "features" and it is easy to knock a setting. My main camera (Nikon D800) is much simpler to operate.

On the other hand, this little Fuji is actually a serious picture making machine. It displays a live histogram and a distance scale with depth of field markings in the viewfinder, which is nifty. Hyperfocal focussing is possible again at last! The technical quality of the pictures is pretty good - I don't miss the D800 in this regard. The lens, on the other hand, is just OK, and the usual asking price of €600 is way too high. Still, it doesn't have the size of a coffee mug!

After using it for a week during our autumn vacation, I have to say that this little camera gives me the same level of confidence like the D800 - if I make a picture, I can assume that the technical quality is OK.

Best, Thomas

Mike C. said...

Thomas,

No problem, if no-one takes it, I'll commission sell it in the usual way.

Fuji is The Way, as far as I'm concerned. The only problem is squeezing full value from those "X" raw files: I use Photo Ninja, which seems to do a decent job. I really recommend the original issue kit zoom, [deep breath], the "Fujinon Super EBC XF 18-55mm 1:2.8-4 R LM OIS" lens. I may have got lucky with an outstanding example, but it's all the lens I really need, when size / weight isn't an issue. Otherwise the 27mm pancake is pretty good, too.

But, less of the "little", please... My "big" camera is an X-T1!

Mike

Thomas Rink said...

Right now, I'm running a demo installation of Capture One Pro 12 to process the Fuji raw files. I was a bit concerned about the X Trans sensor first, but it turned out not to be an issue. At least not for me, as I'm not a sharpness junkie. Lifting shadows is not a big deal - probably the D800 is even more capable in this regard, but then again, pictures tend to look flat and boring if it is overdone. The only thing to keep an eye on is the blue channel, it clips easily and is not readily recovered. The D800 doesn't show this behaviour, by the way.

As I said, the XF 18mm f/2 is OK for my purposes. In my opinion, small and affordable lenses are one of the big advantages of the Fuji X system. The full-frame mirrorless options, in particular those from Nikon and Panasonic, absolutely turn me off with their huge and expensive lenses. If my D800 broke and I'd not able to find another Nikon FF DSLR second-hand as a replacement I'd go with Fuji as my main system, too.

Best, Thomas

Chris Rusbridge said...

"if Fuji were ever to decide to launch a version of their APS-C sensor X70 with a modest zoom (say, 35-70mm equivalent, preferably a version of the novel, manual, twist-to-start-up pancake zoom on the small-sensor X20, which I love), then I might even consider buying one NEW... "

... and I'd be right behind you! I have a Fuji X10, which it appears I've had for round 7 years, and it still works fine. Perhaps focus is a little slow for the grandkids, but then perhaps I should read the book and see if there's another mode I can use that'll be faster. Image quality is excellent, to my eyes, colours fantastic. It's my only digital camera, as my main stuff is shot on metal manual Pentaxes (MX, LX etc). But i'd really like to update the little X10, and I've often thought I'd like something just as you describe, with a larger sensor, good manual zoom, f/2 (base), though I'd prefer a 3x zoom (say 28-80, but hey, 28-110 pretty please)!

By the way, as an Aperture user I'm having to migrate all my images, and Capture One Pro 12 Fuji is my choice. It handles the X10 raws, which Aperture never did, and is fine for JPEGs and TIFFs from scanned negatives, too. But, it's a heck of a steep learning curve!

Mike C. said...

Chris,

It's a great design, isn't it? I can't understand why they haven't continued with it. Feels so solid and reliable -- probably massively over-engineered. I'd go for the smaller x2 zoom on an X70, as it could probably shrink away into the body like the one on the X10 / X20. Anything bigger, and optics (focal lengths) would play a hand...

I tried Capture One (free version, obvs) but it's too complicated for me. I like to convert the raw "X" files into TIFs in Photo Ninja, which is very intuitive (and includes a good noise reduction facility) then polish them up in Photoshop Elements.

Mike