Monday 15 January 2024

Winter Woodland



Having become intrigued by the perspective and possibilities opened up by playing with a Canon Zoom (see the post Zoom!), but not really being satisfied by the quality of the results, I decided it would be worth mounting a decent telephoto lens onto an actual camera – something I rarely do – and venturing out on a recent sunny afternoon to see what I could see.

I have always been attracted to the shapes made by trees in winter, and a long lens enables you to get right in among the gnarlier, more baroque branches. These two pictures are not entirely "straight" photographs – I don't think anyone would guess, but the extra processing steps I had to use on the Canon files to get an attractive result did prove instructive – but they do manage to capture the feeling of sunlit winter woodland even better than the originals from which they have been derived, I think.

No comments: