Saturday 11 March 2023

A Change in the Weather



I was going through the photographs I took during my exhibition and residency in Innsbruck back in summer 2014, when I came across this previously overlooked snap of an old, slightly skeletonic weathercock leaning against a wall. It's a nice enough photo, if slightly oddly framed – it must have been stashed in an awkward corner – but, looking at it nearly nine years later, I thought it had potential to become something a little bolder.

I'm still mucking about with it, but this is the current state of play:

A change in the weather

If nothing else, it's an interesting illustration of the two contrasting creative personalities that seem to co-habit quite happily within me, one in the guise of a photographer, the other a digital artist. The first is an inquisitive introvert, drawn to noticing the odd, the strange, and the overlooked, and the second a show-off with a liking for over-the-top effects and showmanship.

I can't deny that this reflects aspects of my broader personality, too, although the show-off doesn't get out to play in real life these days as much as he used to, but that's probably just as well: he can be pretty intolerable when he gets going. Psychologically, I believe this is not an uncommon combination where performers of various sorts are concerned, and I read somewhere that even Elton John is really just a shy kid behind those ridiculous glasses. Thank goodness I never learned to play the piano. But, offer me a stage, and I will do my best to entertain you...

1 comment:

Stephen said...

That video of Elton having a meltdown in some airport comes to mind Mike. I think he was calling some paparazzi "Rude, vile pigs". Which makes me think of Nan Goldin calling the Sacklers "Corrupt, evil bastards" in the documentary about her fight with that family.