Monday 5 July 2021

The Dust of Your Feet


St. Petersburg, June 2018

July is here – how did that happen? – and I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for the outgoing "widget" that emailed notifications of new posts to subscribers (see the post The Curious Incident of the Vole in the Night-Time). That is, I have not been able to find a replacement that works with Blogger, is cost free, and enables users to sign themselves up (and unsubscribe) rather than requiring me to maintain some sort of mailing list. Which is a shame, but there it is: I have now removed the "Follow This Idiot by Email" widget from the blog.

In the end, the number of active readers relying on the old service was really quite small, and I trust they will either sign up for a blog-feed service (Feedly and The Old Reader seem OK, but I'm sure there are others), remember to click on a bookmark from time to time, or (to get Biblical), "whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet". Although I'm not sure who would be doing the dust shaking thing here, me or them. Hopefully, neither of us.

Buddhapāda
(Drawing of the Buddha's footprint)

2 comments:

Zouk Delors said...

Here's an interesting thing. As you know, I get notice, and the substance of new posts (which, ahem, I don't always read straight away) via Feedly, as advertised above along with the Old Reader. When, on my laptop, I hover the cursor over "Feedly" in the Feedly version of this post, I see the website URL for Feedly in the bottom left of my screen; when I do the same thing for The Old Reader, I just get a question mark! When I follow the link to the original post (here, where I'm commenting), the same exercise gives the URLs for both. I wonder what happened there? You have to admire Feedly, somehow, don't you?

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

Hmm, coder's sharp elbows, I suspect...

Mike