Saturday 19 October 2019

The War That Never Happened



We hear a lot, these days, about "toxic masculinity". I think most of us know what that means, and most of us agree there's a genuine problem in there somewhere that needs addressing. I'm sure if I had been born female I'd be very wary of men, and our capacity for careless harm. Or, if born gay, our capacity for quite deliberate harm. But toxic femininity is a problem, too. As is toxic anything, come to that. The difficulty is that the description "toxic X" easily tips over into the prescription "X is toxic". But a poisonous substance can be useful in measured quantities – indeed, some are highly beneficial and in daily domestic use – just as benign substances become deadly in overabundant and inappropriate application (when drowning in Malmsey wine, for example). So, when it comes to matters of gender I'd hope we can talk less about essence, and more about dosage.

That said, I come from a generation and class whose gender was quite heavily policed. I can't speak for my female contemporaries, whose experience must have been similar, but to grow up in the 1950s and 60s was to be quite clear about what big boys did and didn't do. Not crying was the least of it: a boy who cried in front of his peers hadn't even made it to basic training in masculinity. Suppressing the urge to cry quite quickly became a hardwired reflex, not least because a certain level of cruelty was deemed appropriate in the raising of male children. As a mild example, my grandfather – who was "illegitimate" and had grown up in a Liverpool orphanage in the 1890s, immediately followed by service in WW1, and therefore knew a thing or two about harsh upbringing – discovered that I was afraid of earthworms. So, with the best of intentions, he decided to tackle this weakness head on: he would throw worms at me when digging in the garden. "What, are you a girl?" he would snarl, "Only girls are afraid of worms!" Point taken, grandad.

There was a positive side to this, too. Twice at primary school I suffered accidental injuries that required hospital treatment, but even at that tender age I knew that the essential thing was, in that Baden Powell-ish expression, to "grin and bear it", even as I stared at a painfully dislocated thumb, now positioned midway across my palm. I confess that to be praised to my father by my fearsome headmaster as a brave little chap made my heart sing; I resolved that, although I might be small, a certain fearlessness would be my thing. Boys, I suspect, are particularly susceptible to this kind of Spartanisation; Kipling's poem "If" is its manifesto. We may, rightly, be skeptical about the values of "patriarchy" today, but the idea of becoming a fully-adult, responsible male as an aspiration [1] rather than a statement of biological fact – cringeworthy as it may sound to some 21st-century ears – lies at the root of much that has been positive in our culture.


A lot of this childhood "toughening up", it strikes me now, was preparation for the Next War. Not unreasonably: several previous generations of my family, like most others, had seen extensive military service at the sharp end of war. It seemed entirely probable, when I was born in 1954, that I, too, would find myself involuntarily conscripted into some brutal conflict, and I imagine it seemed quite sensible to start basic training ASAP. National Service (the requirement for young men to waste two precious youthful years in the armed forces) was still very much a reality – National Servicemen saw combat of varying intensities in Malaya, Cyprus, Kenya, and Korea – but thankfully this came to an end around 1960. For young Britons born after 1939, the Next War never came.

Which was confusing. When you've spent your entire childhood playing with toy soldiers, assembling scale models of fighters and bombers from plastic kits, and conducting running skirmishes and ambushes in woods, fields, and streets armed with replica weaponry, not to mention reading weekly tales of romanticised wartime heroism in various boys' comics, it comes as something of an anticlimax to realise you will never be tested under fire, or given the chance to have "a good war", as the expression goes. For you, there will be no parachutes behind enemy lines, no beach-head landings, no aerial heroics. Which, of course, was also a profound relief, as very few boys of my generation could be entirely naive about the nature of warfare, when the evidence lay all around. I recall how, aged about seven, very early one morning I had glimpsed the ruined face of the milkman, the one who delivered our daily pints under cover of the hours of darkness, and for whom my father always left a generous Christmas "box". "That's how war really is, son," Dad had said, "It's not like it is in the comics. Getting shot at with real bullets and having bombs dropped on you is no fun at all."

So we boomer boys had to invent our own thrills, and come up with new ways of emerging into adulthood, without going through the vigorous wash-cycle of war. And a lot of fun it was, too, in the main, although some did fall by the wayside, and a few do seem permanently stuck in an over-extended adolescence. For many, though, this self-invention entailed a wholesale challenge to the assumptions of most previous generations; assumptions about, for example, gender roles and gender relations. My grandfather – who never cooked a meal, changed a nappy, or did any housework in his entire life – could never quite grasp the significance of the length of my hair, the needless scruffiness of my clothes, or my love of suspect things like books, poetry, and music. I wonder, did he ever ask himself whether he had thrown a few too many worms, or perhaps too few? Perhaps, but I suspect the sad truth is that he had been brought up never, ever to question anything above his pay grade, however strange, however brutal, however unfair. Keep your head down; never volunteer; don't snitch; do what you're told. Or else. We have, I hope, left that behind us for good. As someone once said, suppose they gave a war, and nobody came? So far, we in Britain have been fortunate enough to pose that question, without ever having been called upon to answer it.


1. Kipling's use of the word "man" here as an honorific term is problematic for many ("you'll be a Man, my son"). The Yiddish word mensch perhaps better conveys the idea, but would render the poem as bathetically hilarious as would substituting "gent", "toff", or "diamond geezer".

9 comments:

Emily said...

but the idea of becoming a fully-adult, responsible male as an aspiration [1] rather than a statement of biological fact – cringeworthy as it may sound to some 21st-century ears – lies at the root of much that has been positive in our culture.

Yeah, no. I mean, the rest of the post seems fine & I deeply appreciate your acknowledgement of how (straight and white especially) male violence is an endless, claustrophobic threat to literally everyone else who lives, but no. Everything bad that exists in the world and is not a simple extrusion of nature — floods, plagues of locusts, etc. — is built upon the fundament of The Fully Adult Responsible Male. Property rights, marriage laws, sexism, racism, capitalism, wife selling, honor killings, slavery, empires; your grandfather's status as illegitimate, even. I am indeed struggling to imagine what minor and inconsequential good you can possibly think ever emerged from the swamp of The Fully Adult Responsible Male. It has all been bad, sir.

Please do not conceive of this as a criticism of your gender, your genitals, or any other fact of your humanness. All those things are fine. Good, even. It is the Quest To Become A Fully Adult Responsible Male that turns a perfectly decent human being with a penis into a glory-seeking, daddy-worshipping, patriotic and performatively violent monster. If you see what I mean.

Toxic femininity is also awful, of course. I think regular femininity is pretty bad as well.
(I am a woman, and let me tell you where conversations with other women go when I reveal that I am not a mother because I don’t like kids: The dumpster.)

The conceptualization of gender as a binary with, say, The Fully Adult Responsible Man at one pole and The Always Sexy Baby Girl at the other, is the real reason we’ve been denied Paradise all these years. In my opinion. I find men attractive, but I also find that their desire to be Fully Adult Responsible Men makes them both unfuckable and poor prospects for meaningful relationships. Once a man has become focused on proving himself to society, he’s ruined for everything else.

My $0.02, anyway.

Mike C. said...

Emily,

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment. To a large extent, I think we're singing from the same songsheet, but I do think you've set up a straw man to attack here: I have to ask, what is the real-world alternative to the fully-adult, responsible male? The kind of arrested-development, narcissistic, irresponsible kidult who runs away from commitments, regards his career as more important than his relationships and family, who sees everyone else as instrumental to his needs? If that's your type, fine; but somehow I doubt it, though. The world needs grownups (male and female) more than ever, and -- speaking purely for myself -- I'm tired of living with the inherited mess, and those who want to perpetuate it. My personal "fuckability" and any binary that includes the "always sexy baby girl" are so low on my priority list as to be non-existent. But then, I'm 65.

Mike

old_bloke said...

One of the reasons I enjoy reading your blogs is that some of your reminiscences give me pause to reflect on my own experiences years ago. Apart from the environment of working class machismo that I grew up in, I think my juvenile prejudices were also shaped by reading too much Rider Haggard when young. I went to the type of secondary school that required all boys to be in the "Combined Cadet Force" (though our cap badges still had "Officer Training Corps" on them). I can still remember the afternoon when an officer from the Royal Navy came to give us a talk about nuclear submarines, and finding my teenage brain totally boggled by the concept of "Mutually Assured Destruction" - a prime example of the madness that the alpha male is capable of. I had thought that the world had moved on from such nonsense, but with "kidults" in Washington and Moscow now, I'm not so sure.

On a more cheerful note, I thought that your collage of the aviator worked particularly well.

Mike C. said...

old_bloke,

One of the [dis]advantages of advancing age is that you get to see some of the cycles that society passes through: like clothes, certain cast-off attitudes seem to come back, only more cheaply made...

That's Albert Ball VC of the RFC, btw, a little bronze statuette in the National Portrait Gallery. One of my "Guardians" series.

Mike

Zouk Delors said...

Mutually Assured Destruction is so-o-o-o last century ...

https://warontherocks.com/2019/08/america-needs-a-dead-hand/

Zouk Delors said...

At last females are allowed into the para-gladiators' trident event! But what's that one on the right doing? You're supposed to try and win, not make peace!

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

Thankfully, so far, at least we've *got* a this century... (humanly speaking).

Mike

Zouk Delors said...

Oops! The Britannia joke's on the wrong post, innit?

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

So it is! Never mind, the moment has passed...

Mike