Saturday 27 April 2019

Shakespeare Within The Abbey


King Edward III (1312-77)
(in the National Portrait Gallery)

As a birthday treat, an old university friend gave me two tickets to a special event, "Shakespeare within the Abbey", organised by actor/director Mark Rylance and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. I wasn't quite sure what to expect: if I'm honest, it had all the makings of a horribly embarrassing theatrical fiasco.
Mark Rylance and Shakespeare’s Globe are thrilled to bring a company of 22 actors to Westminster Abbey for a unique event to celebrate Shakespeare’s birthday.

This unseated production invites you to roam the Abbey. As you explore, a beautiful and unexpected world unfolds in this sacred space. Consider the war-weary soldier or the hapless lover in the nave; behold a monarch in the transept or sit awhile in the pews and overhear a prayer or sonnet.

Audiences will experience fleeting, contemplative and intimate encounters with Shakespeare’s drama, poetry, dance and song beneath the soaring ribs of the magnificent Westminster Abbey.
I mean, it does sound a bit grim, doesn't it: an audience wandering freely about within Westminster Abbey, having random encounters with actors spouting bits of Shakespeare, completely out of context and without the comforting insulation of that "fourth wall". Hmm... I did seriously contemplate saying, thanks but, sorry, I was planning on having a bath that night. Nonetheless, my partner and I did meet up with that old university friend and his partner, yet another old university friend, and we boldly queued in the Cloisters, secure in the knowledge it would only last an hour and a bit, anyway.

As it turned out, it was brilliant. At least, it was once you had tuned in to the nature of the "experience". I was slightly thrown, at first, when approached by an actor in period costume, who grabbed my arm, gazed intently into my eyes, and began to recite Ophelia's words describing her recent encounter with the "mad" Hamlet. Yikes! I mean, I might have looked like Polonius, but I didn't have his half of the script. All I could do was nod sympathetically at her plight, and harumph in what I hoped was a suitably Elizabethan manner. It was a bizarrely trippy moment, like one of those dreams where you have lost all agency, and yet something unknown and undeclared is clearly expected of you. It was a relief when she drifted off, and I could joke that I hadn't realised we'd be expected to have done our homework.

Which, of course, we weren't. Part of the fun was working out what play we were encountering now, round the next corner. Isn't that Measure for Measure? No, Winter's Tale, I think... I was very impressed by the actors' ability to stay so intensely in character, despite directly addressing a bunch of folk in sensible outdoor clothes who were, in the main, determined not to be dragged through the fourth wall that was being so insistently broken down. Fourth wall? There weren't any walls! In a side chapel I found myself sitting next to yet another distraughtly soliloquising woman – I'm not entirely sure who, and this time dressed in a WW2 ATS uniform – but by then I had freed myself from any urge to say, "There, there, dear, don't go upsetting yourself: have you considered counselling?" Wisely, and despite the closeness of some of these encounters of the Bard kind, there was clearly no expectation of (or, I imagine, wish for) audience participation.

At the end of our session (the first of just two) we were all somehow shepherded into a cluster around a Capulet vs. Montague face-off, like a playground fight, which had been recast as a rap battle by the Intermission Youth Ensemble that pulled in all sorts of Shakespearean references, but which was eventually broken up by Rylance and the other grown-ups, and ended in a rather impressive group song of reconciliation. The Abbey doors opened, and out we trooped.

To be honest, though, the real star was the Abbey itself. I'd never been in there before, and it is simply incredible. I suspect we had greater access to every nook and cranny than everyday tourists do, and it was worth taking advantage of, despite a firm "no photography" rule. Royal tombs, elaborate memorials, Poets' Corner (which is way bigger than I'd imagined), amazing ecclesiastical architecture... The place is huge and, despite being stuffed end to end with these historical keepsakes and leftovers is still majestically cavernous, which does make it a good venue to hold a Big Do like a coronation every once in a while. I suppose it's intended to be a sort of national parish church and village hall, even if those of us with a Nonconformist heritage will never feel entirely at ease surrounded by such High Anglican grandeur. In fact, now I come to think of it, I have spent quite a lot of time nearby: in my role as a trades union activist at national meetings and rallies in the building just across the road, the Methodist Central Hall.

Edward (The Black Prince) 1330-76
(in the National Portrait Gallery)

10 comments:

Zouk Delors said...

I wonder, did anyone try to bring in a dog, only to have it summarily dismissed with "Out, damned Spot! Out, I say!"?

I don't think I've ever been inside, but I have been up on the roof when masons were doing some restoration(?) work up there in the mid- to late-nineties and tourists were allowed to go up and observe the work. It was the highlight of a little tour of the sights I gave to some friends of my mum who were visiting from Germany.

amolitor said...

I am fascinated by the idea of encountering Shakespeare's ... dance. I did not know he did any choreography.

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

Heh... "A bit with the dog" is a running joke in Tom Stoppard's "Shakespeare in Love" (great film).

I think you'd remember if you had been inside -- Elizabeth I's tomb, etc. Talking of fixing the roof, though, I trust they've taken note of what happened to Notre Dame...

Mike

Mike C. said...

amolitor,

Well it was all singing, all dancing on Shakespeare Night at the Globe!

Seriously, though: the scripts we know were a framework for a lot of other entertainment, in fact some of the plays (the Tempest comes to mind) specify song and dance interludes in the stage directions.

Mike

Zouk Delors said...

I would like to see Shakespeare in Love. I'm a great fan of Stoppard, one of the very few playwrights whose works I've seen at the theatre. I fear I might mostly only get the Macbeth jokes, though.

I would also like to hear the Montague-Capulet rap battle.

You can hear a "fire scientist" (from Impoerial College, no less) talking about Notre Dame here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00046sj

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

If you don't have a DVD drive, here's the next best thing:

http://www.screenplay.com/downloads/scripts/shakespeareinlove.pdf

You do have to wonder how anyone ends up becoming a "fire scientist" (a pyrotechnic?).
Mike

Zouk Delors said...

Thanks, Mike, I might well have a read of that. More chance of puzzling out the refs at reading pace.

I suppose it might be 'pyrologist', but I don't think they used that term in the programme, just 'fire scientist', I think.

Kent Wiley said...

Mike, what are the "sex bolt" looking objects in King Edward's hands?

Mike C. said...

Kent,

I had no idea what a "sex bolt" might be, but the answer is rather less lurid than I'd imagined!

I've no idea, unless he was a right royal handyman in his spare time. They look a bit like they might have held a scroll at one time, perhaps?

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. The Westminster Abbey thing, that is. The walls be damned!