Sunday 26 August 2018

Bristol Guardians



While we were in Bristol last week we managed a couple of excursions. One was to the American Museum, near Bath, and the other was to Dyrham Park, a National Trust property in the Cotswolds. Allegedly, I have been to both places before, probably some time back in the last century, but have no convincing memories that would corroborate this. Sadly, this often seems to be the case, these days; not only can I not recall where I was when either Kennedy was shot (at school, probably, but who knows?) but I can't find my driving glasses, which is much more annoying.


As you can see, I've made a few new "guardians" by cross-fertilising photos from the two places. I got a particularly rich haul of figures from the "folk art" section of the American Museum – even the toff below playing an enthusiastic game of pocket billiards is American – and a lot of useful background material from Dyrham Park. Now I'll definitely remember I've been there, probably. No sign of those glasses, though.


2 comments:

Martin said...

Just doing a spot of catching up. I definitely haven't been to either place, although I did attend two unforgettable summer schools at Bath University. Had to smile at the mention of "pocket billiards". Haven't heard that expression for an age.

Mike C. said...

Martin,

I may forget names and places, but have a memory like a steel trap for the rude, lewd, and crude. I will probably end up as one of those old men shouting obscure obscenities from a park bench...

Mike