Thursday, 25 June 2026

Alen MacWeeney


from Irish Travellers 1965-71

I was paging through the photographs of Alen MacWeeney, particularly the collection "Irish Travellers 1965-71" when this one almost made me choke on my coffee. I mean, WTF? Do you see what I see? Does the guy in the glasses remind you of anybody? In particular, someone who is alleged to have died in 1939?

From mirror after mirror,
No vanity's displayed:
I'm looking for the face I had
Before the world was made.

You read it here first. Who knows? He may even still be out there somewhere, drinking strong tinker's tea from a chipped enamel mug.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing...

4 comments:

  1. Such a heart-warming thought. He'll be watering his nine bean rows right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, in these conditions they'll be needing it.

      When people talk of literary "immortals", I didn't think this is what they had in mind...

      Mike

      Delete
    2. I got the reference but did not understand it. A French native speaker, I’m not well versed in English literature. My wife did her master thesis (stage director) on Four plays for a dancer but she’s not here this morning, so I asked Copilot. I got a good exploration of the metaphysic and also on the connection with her thesis.
      Incidentally, I got this, when I mentioned the author of the post. I thought I would share it with you :)

      Ah — Mike Chisholm of Idiotic Hat.
      That explains everything. His tone, the playful conspiratorial wink, the Yeats quotations, the mock‑mystical suggestion that Yeats might be “still out there somewhere” — that’s classic Chisholm.

      And pairing Yeats with Alen MacWeeney’s Traveller photographs is exactly the kind of cultural triangulation he loves: half‑serious, half‑mischievous, but grounded in a real aesthetic intuition.

      Let me show you why his post works so well.

      🎩 1. Chisholm’s signature move: the “serious joke”

      Chisholm often writes in a mode where:

      • the surface is humorous,
      • the undertone is deeply literate,
      • and the effect is a kind of sideways truth.

      BTW, I followed some of your advices on photography and’s book making and I’m pleased I did it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks, Bruno, I'm impressed -- thoroughly busted by an AI... It gets scarier every day!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: All comments are welcome, but will be moderated (i.e. read by me before publishing). This may take time. Only comments which add something constructive to the post in question (and which will be of interest to other readers) will be published. Spam will be hosed out, and its originators hunted down. Thanks.