Thursday 27 August 2020

Three More Three by Four



Here are three more of these "guardians" compilations. Bringing them together like this, I am aware of how far indulging my taste for the grotesque may be unsettling for some. Indeed, it's hard to imagine quite who would want to put a set of pictures like those four above on a wall within their living space. Even I find them a little disturbing.


OTOH, someone must be buying the considerably more grotesque output of the Chapman Brothers, not to mention the work of twins Doug and Mike Starn. Maybe I should invent a brother for myself, or even better, an identical twin? I wouldn't be the first: consider the case of the wonderful Beggarstaff Brothers, or the singular Bob and Roberta Smith. However, given the difficulties banks are now putting in the path of those of us with variant names – even things as mild as "Mike" versus "Michael", or the habitual use of a middle name – it seems less like a good idea. It's hard to imagine how "Bob and Roberta Smith" ever manages to bank his receipts, given his real name is Patrick Brill... Maybe he doesn't sell very much. Maybe that's why.


No comments: