Wednesday 6 May 2020

Rook Heads



I remember coming across these guys, decapitated and on display in London. No, not on spikes in the Tower, but in the Natural History Museum, demonstrating the development of the rook's beak and facial "bald spot" over time. I thought they deserved the full-on graphical treatment, came up with a number of these variations, but then put them to one side.


Coming across them again, I rather like them. I wonder if there's a greetings card niche I could exploit in these troubled times? "Keep calm and carrion"? "Rook after yourself"? "Corvid Commiserations"? I mean, come on, aren't you sick of bloody hares? Hares, hares, hares... What is it with hares? [1] Give crows a chance.


1. Actually, I think I know what it is. As I wrote in an earlier post: Hares are threadbare glove-puppets that say, "I'm a bit of a pagan, in touch with folkways, and the feel and flow of the land and its seasons. I'm earthy and yet spiritual. My kitchen is filled with the smell of baking bread, and the laughter of friends and children..." What could be more annoying? Crows, on the other hand, are just fine. Crows may be glove-puppets, too, but they're saying, "Get over yourself, big ears!" to moonstruck hares.

No comments: