Thursday 16 April 2020

Cheap, Good, Fast: Pick Any Two

I have now received my two copies of the "layflat", revised edition of Pentagonal Pool, and it is a very attractive object indeed: truly a thing of beauty, sturdily made and very nicely printed. Using it is an unusually immersive experience: to look at pictures spread across two adjacent, rigid 10" x 8" pages is very different from looking at them on the usual curved surfaces with an acute "gutter" in between and, even if I say so myself, these particular photographs do look very good presented this way. What a shame it has to be quite so expensive (although, to my amazement, one very discriminating reader in Houston, Texas has actually bought a copy: thanks!). I have to say, they also arrived individually packaged in a totally unnecessary clamshell "gift box", which I suppose reveals something of Blurb's intended customer-base for these things: wedding albums, retirement gifts, client presentations, and the like.

So, if I've been quiet for a few days it's because I've been busy. For a long time I've wanted to make some sort of "best of" book of these written posts, but the sheer scale of the task – both in editorial time and publishing expense – has always been too daunting, which is why I made those Idiotic Hat Annual CDs: it was far simpler to create a set of PDFs containing everything than to boil down the nearly 2000 posts I have published since 2008. A classic instance of Pascal's apology for sending such a long letter, having lacked the time to make it shorter. But it occurred to me recently that a series of small, cheap selections might actually be preferable to yet another lavish production that no-one can afford.

The key to this, I realised, would be to drop all or most of the pictures, and to use Blurb's inexpensive "trade" book format, printed on their cheapest "B&W only" paper. That way, even a fairly substantial little book of around 140 pages could come in at under £5. Any remaining pictures would look pretty awful, but that wouldn't matter. It surprised me, once I started to look, how many written posts could stand alone, stripped of their illustrative matter, and lightly edited to remove any direct references to the accompanying photographs, as well as to links to other posts and external material on the Web.

The idea of making thematic selections was the other key. It's a general rule in life that 80% of anything is rubbish, and blogs are no exception. Of the 2000 or so posts in this blog there are probably 400 that warrant stand-alone publication, plus some borderline cases that have a certain amusement or novelty value. Let's say 500, which is still quite a lot, given that a typical post would occupy about 1½ pages in print; moreover, deciding which posts qualify would remain a major undertaking. But, once you apply a thematic filter, everything falls into place quite quickly. You start out looking for caprines, which is a far simpler, if tedious task, and then you sort your little herd into sheep and goats.

My first thematic thoughts were things like music, my home town of Stevenage, and, oh, the meaning of life, the universe, and everything: subjects I've returned to repeatedly over these years. Repeatedly and, it has to be said, somewhat repetitively. You can be forgiven for, in effect, rewriting the same post every few years – perspectives change, new information comes to light – but when such posts are collated into a single sequence, a certain amount of further selectivity becomes necessary: not just sheep, but the prettiest sheep.

For now, anyway, I have decided to avoid any photographic topics, for the obvious reason that more actual photographs might be required, raising the cost of production. I want these books to be cheap. The first (music, probably) is not ready yet – I want them to be good, too – but shouldn't take too long. However, as the saying, goes: cheap, good, and fast – pick any two. To keep the cost down even further, I'll probably buy copies in bulk (as many as, like, ten copies!) and distribute them myself. Which, if past experience is any guide, will probably amount to giving them away.

So that's what I've been up to: how about you? I've been surprised by the absence of comments during this period of enforced leisure. I do hope you're not enslaved to interior decoration, confined to bed, or, ah, worse. Or maybe you, too, have been happily busy in the Cave of Making?

10 comments:

amolitor said...

I like my women cheap, fast, and very very bad.

Also, I have been reading religiously! But sometimes, I have nothing to say. Not even lame side notes and jokes in poor taste.

Mike C. said...

Hmm, I shall ensure that Mrs. Molitor gets to hear about this... I expect she'll be pleased!

I know the feeling, though: nuthin' to say. OTOH, in the words of John Cage, "I have nothing to say and I am saying it. And that is poetry as I need it"...

Mike

amolitor said...

Indeed, you may freely consider me to be commenting *constantly* using the typographic style of John Cage, which, clearly, is follow each period with 433 spaces. And then to delete the period.

Mike C. said...

Mike,

Yes, there were several generations of serious-but-hip writers that had a popularity then that is hard to imagine now: I may be wrong, but I think more men read back then than than they do today. A lot of that "creative consumption" has gone into video and gaming, I suspect.

Mike

Thomas Rink said...

Some observations:

1. Going for a running exercise in the local forest before work in my home office is way better than standing in a queue during my usual morning commute;
2. Waking up from bird songs is nicer than the alarm clock;
3. Two additional hours of free time per day due to home office, no commute;
4. Monthly savings of €200 otherwise spent on gasoline;
5. Foraging for toilet paper and flour sucks, but the items 1. through 4. compensate for this inconvenience;

As I can't change it, I'm trying to put the lockdown to good use. Working on more handmade Stillgewässer books right now.

Stay safe,
Thomas

Mike C. said...

Thomas,

Glad to hear you're well and making good use of the enforced time at home. I suspect when this is all over there'll be a *huge* demand for working from home, now people have had a taste of it (once, of course, the kids are back at school...).

Flour has vanished from the earth. Hard to understand why.

Mike

David Brookes said...

Mike

I am still here, still enjoying your writing, but, like others, not commenting unless I have a point to make. Keep up the good work and stay safe!

David

Mike C. said...

David,

Thanks for checking in, I'm not really intended to take a roll-call, like a teacher doing the morning register (not least because I haven't a clue who the majority of IH readers are), but was just curious what people were doing with their time. For me, this is pretty much life as normal, with the exception that my partner (an academic) appears to be running a call-centre from the next room...

Mike

Chris Rusbridge said...

Well, since you ask...

My photography has sadly dwindled a lot (which I'm sure is grammatically or otherwise incorrect, but suits my very own meaning) since the lockdown. I do most of my photography when on my own, either "out for a wander" with a camera, or, sometimes, building and photographing a little scene, or developing a black and white film or two. Unfortunately, the presence of my Mrs is a real dampener on any of these activities; she really can't understand why I don't just take family photos like Other People (not that I could anyway, other than via Facetime), and she really, really doesn't like to be reminded of the existence of Nasty Chemicals in that box under the stairs where the dev stuff is kept!

We've been going for our Daily Exercise together, and though I usually have a camera, it's hard to get those few minutes to recognise a potential shot, think about it, frame, compose, remember DoF etc, fire, and catch up with her! So not much getting shot. 7 films in March before lockdown, and neither the b&w nor the colour roll finished so far this month.

What I've been doing instead is trying to write a Resource thread about film scanners for the Talk Photography Film & Conventional forum. We often get threads from newcomers along the lines of "what scanner should I get", so I decided I'd try to gather together our conventional wisdom and put it into one thread. Still not done, though I did release another section to dayon the abstruse subject of film density and Dmax. I hope I've made it reasonably accessible. It was interesting because I knew very little about this topic before I started writing this bit, and I've discovered that much of what's written about it on t'internet is contradictory and hence often wrong. In the end I've had to make up my own mind about what's right. So far, the whole process has been quite enlightening.

However, what I Really, Really want to do, is take a wander in the nearby woods as the colours come alive and try to have fun making photos, whether straight or weird!

I always enjoy your blogs, Mike. Thank you for the good work!

Chris

Mike C. said...

Chris,

You're not alone: with a few minor tweaks (apart from the "film" bits!) that is me, too, and no doubt nearly everyone who works that way. I'm not even taking a camera out, as my heart isn't in it at the moment. Still, it's a great time to be writing, compiling, editing, etc.

Please point me at your scanning piece when it's done. I'm interested: even though I don't use film any more, I have a large film archive, medium-format and 35mm, with some interesting stuff in it. My Minolta "Dimage Scan Speed" doesn't really want to connect via USB, and my Epson flatbed is not really up to the job, either.

Mike