Thursday 2 January 2020

NYD 2020


Clevedon Pier, New Year's Day

 The view from Clevedon Pier...

I've never really been able to get into the factitious revelry of New Year's Eve – the last one I can remember truly enjoying was the transition from 1971 to 1972, as an underage drinker in a packed Stevenage "old town" pub, when "Maggie May" was still fresh on the juke box – and most years since I have managed to avoid it, whether by accident or design. In recent times this has meant retreating to our Bristol flat, with perhaps a midnight excursion to the viewing area at the top of the Avon Gorge, weather permitting, where fireworks may be admired bursting over the city.

My own little end-of-year / start-of-year tradition is a New Year's Day excursion in order to take at least one New Year's Day photograph, whatever the weather, and when in Bristol this has usually meant a trip down to the Bristol Channel at Clevedon. This year the dismal Dorset Christmas fog had followed us, but its effect at north-west-facing Clevedon was delightful: a pearlescent shimmer that endowed everything with a liminal sense of mystery and insubstantiality. A very suitable beginning, I think, to a new decade in which the hollow sound of empty promises hitting the solid wall of reality, like birds flying into a windowpane, looks to be the likely keynote.

Round the back of the seafront houses and cafes, we stumbled across the yard of a curiosity shop, full of the most wonderful, grotesque garden statuary I have ever seen. If I had a decent-sized garden, a few grand to spare, and a lorry, I'd have bought the lot. Whoever makes these – they appear to be castings made in some sort of stone-dust and resin mix – is a genius of taste. In better light on a longer afternoon I could happily have spent hours in there. Come the summer, I probably will.



On New Year's Eve we had the bizarre experience of seeing a number of vintage Yoko Ono videos from the 1960s – including the famous "Cut Piece", in which a passively-seated Ono has her clothing cut away with scissors by the participants – which were looped on TV sets on pedestals, one plonked in each of the rooms of the Georgian House Museum. Than which a more unlikely combination of aesthetics it would be hard to conceive. A fitting end, I suppose, to a year of conflict, cunctation, conspicuous cowardice, and confusion.



My attention was drawn by one of the samplers on permanent display in the museum, carefully stitched by a girl housed in a Bristol orphanage in 1794, the year of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience, as it happens:


Mary Ann may be long gone, but her needlework lives on. Let's hope her hopefulness was properly rewarded in life. And may I wish you all a happy and, yes, a hopeful New Year!

5 comments:

Thomas Rink said...

The curiosity shop - I wonder whether they ship these statues to Germany? My wife and I figured out that the demon guy on the 4th picture might do a great job to scare that pesky neighbour's cat out of our garden ...

Happy new year and best regards,
Thomas

Mike C. said...

Thomas,

I'm told lion or tiger dung does the trick... Get a bag from you nearest zoo, and scatter some around the garden, or you can even get a dung-based product via Amazon ("Silent Roar"...)

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Happy NY and all that stuff to the Hat, and its myriad visitors.

Don't give up the "straight" photography yet, Mike. I especially like the first photo of the pier. Your nearly invisible horizon and superstructure reflection reminded me of yet another photo from a couple years ago.

Never seen the Yoko Ono piece, but your description also reminded me of another, more recent multiscreen piece by Ragnar Kjartansson, The Visitors. The video gives an idea of what the installation is like, but it's another piece of Art that needs to be experienced first hand. Go figure!

Mike C. said...

Thanks, Kent. There's no danger of me giving up photography -- it's something I do pretty much every day. I'm just not showing so much of it at the moment.

The Ono is incredibly dated, now, with a shock and surprise factor of about 1... Personally, I don't enjoy most video work as an art form. I've seen a few good ones, but I always resent being made to stand in a darkened gallery space, waiting for the loop to end and begin again...

Mike

Kent Wiley said...

Understood Mike. That's what's so seductive about The Visitor. It plays on nine large screens for about 61 minutes, each showing a different performer in a different room of the same house, playing with each other, the same repetitive piece. I wanted to watch each screen for the duration, but may have only spent 3 - 4 hrs over two days with the piece. But then, I'm a glutton for these kinds of experiences. I think it may have been at the Tate in September. A sight and sound extravaganza.