Tuesday 19 February 2019

Westward Window


February 2019

I hope it goes without saying that I don't spend a great deal of my time photographing sunsets. A lot of people do, of course, but I am not one of them. Unless, that is, we are in our Bristol flat. From our west-facing kitchen window, the view of the setting sun at the far end of the Gorge is often little less than gob-smacking (sorry, that's a technical meteorological term).

Quite often, this spectacle starts to brew while I'm washing up. Which is probably the only real reason I might have need of a waterproof camera. It would also help to have one that can survive a 30-foot drop, as I need to lean out of a window both to get the best angle and also to avoid shooting through grubby double-glazing. I've already lost a lens hood into the gutter of the balcony of the flat below... (shhh, I'm hoping my ever-curious corvid friends will help me out here).

Sometimes, though, if you look in the opposite direction to the obvious attraction (always a good rule in photography), strange shadows and reflections are being cast onto the kitchen wall by the setting sun.

May 2018

No comments: