Monday 31 December 2018

Apologia Pro Ryvita Sua

What, New Year's Eve already? Yes, indeed: Christmas is done and dusted – very nice, thanks – our children have gone back to their real lives in London, and, having returned from Dorset to Southampton briefly to re-up our clothing, we now find ourselves in the Bristol Winter Palace for New Year. It does feel a little bit like being royalty, this seasonally-adjusted, peripatetic life, except royals have no clue where clean underwear comes from, don't drive themselves across several counties in fog and rain, and certainly don't stand fuming in the supermarket queue on New Year's Eve with a modest wire basket of provisions, stuck behind a log-jam of trolley-pushers, all apparently under the impression that no shops will be opening in 2019. Mind you, the way things are going, they could be on to something. It seems HMV is to be the latest vacant space on the High Street. Sad, but unsurprising: the days of flipping through racks of vinyl LPs seem as remote, now, as my father's stories of following the milkman's horse with a bucket to collect up dung for the garden. So what was a shop, grandad?

As for 2018, it has been a good, productive, and at times exciting year for me, even if it has involved rather more travelling than I'd ideally have chosen to do. Anyone who says it is the journey, not the destination that matters has never been delayed sine die and sans snacks in an airport departure "lounge". I suppose the only real disappointments have been not getting any of my truly amazing entries into either the RA Summer Show this year (may your pots explode in the kiln, Grayson Perry, you ████!) or the final hang of the RWA Open. That, and the ongoing decline in reader numbers of this blog, and the sparseness of your comments. I miss the sparky dialogue of earlier times. What is the sound of one bloke blogging?

December 2017
(no frost this year, just fog..)

It occurred to me, as I scoffed the last remaining mince pie, that New Year's resolutions are really a form of self-cancelling confession-plus-absolution package. I'm too lazy: I will join a gym. I'm too self-absorbed: I will make more of the few friends I have left. I'm fat: I will eat nothing but rye crispbread. I'm ignorant: I will find a suitable evening class. The potentially active component of these packages, though, is not the self-prescribed solution – no-one sticks to those – but the recognition and admission of a personal shortcoming. That counts for something. It may be self-knowledge of a painful sort, but can also feel good, especially after a week or two wallowing in greedy materiality. Confession is, however, potentially addictive. The problem is that the illusory sense of a new start – like most addictive things – lasts only long enough for you to crave a fresh hit. But then there are so many potential confessions to make! Especially if you set the bar for fault-finding and guilt sufficiently low. The organized churches have been in this racket for centuries. Does the Catholic Church charge for confession? I have no idea, but I expect the first few are free, at any rate, just to get you hooked.

So, racking my brain to think of some personal shortcoming to admit to and possibly even remedy in 2019 – I must have some left – I decided that I had two contradictory tendencies that could do with some attention. On the one hand, most of my life I have tended to go with the flow. If there was an easy route to take that didn't require too much by way of effort or navigation, that was the way I went. As a natural loner with a mistrust of self-appointed leaders, this has inevitably meant spending a lot of time going round in circles. On the other hand, whenever some important opportunity has been presented to me – a chance to break out of whatever circular holding pattern I was in at the time – I have usually backed away, like a fox sensing a trap. In the immortal words of Groucho Marx, "Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member". This is hardly revelatory stuff, however: I recently found my old school report book, and it's full of repeated warnings along the lines of "he's quite clever, but not as clever as he thinks he is, and very, very lazy. I'm concerned he will never fulfil his real potential". Yes, well, you had me pegged, guys, at 17 in '71 (now that was a year!), and I don't suppose 2019 will be any different. Apart from the salutary fact that you're all dead, now, and I'm not: there may still be enough time to do something about it! Perhaps this year?

The wonderful thing about New Year is that, for a day or two at least, we can persuade ourselves that all options are now open, all bets are off, and all psychic laws and constants are in abeyance. Anything is possible in the coming year: review, restart, reset, reboot! Of course, the same possibilities of renewal exist at every other time of year, it's just that this little liminal pause, however illusory, is like stepping through a threshold bearing the opposite inscription to that over Dante's entrance to Hell: All hope is to be found beyond this doorway.  It's always worth a gamble, isn't it, another throw of the dice? As that very wise man William James put it:
For practical life at any rate, the chance of salvation is enough. No fact in human nature is more characteristic than its willingness to live on a chance. The existence of the chance makes the difference, as Edmund Gurney says, between a life of which the keynote is resignation and a life of which the keynote is hope.
Afterword to The Varieties of Religious Experience
As we step serially through that threshold in our different time zones, let us all hope for more hope in 2019! We're going to need it...

16 comments:

David Brookes said...

I never make New Year resolutions as I have found that this is the best way to avoid guilt and self-recrimination when they inevitably fail. Happy New Year, Mike.

David Brookes

Mike C. said...

David,

And what kind of year would it be without a measure of guilt and self-recrimination?? Go on, promise yourself something impossible!

Happy New Year!

Mike

Zouk Delors said...

"I miss the sparky dialogue of earlier times"

I offer you the hope that this is all down to Blogger's failure to make commenting possible from the android platform for the last several months.

Happy New Year, Mike

Mike C. said...

Zouk,

Happy New Year to you, too!

You may be right, though I suspect people are also simply losing interest in blogs, in the same way they're losing interest in shops. Plus many regulars get their fix via some feed or other, which means you have to make the effort to go to the actual blog to make a comment, at which point the urge probably evaporates... (I know, because that's exactly what happens to me with certain other blogs I follow!).

Mike

Thomas Rink said...

"Another year is gone / a traveler's shade on my head / straw sandals on my feet" - Matsuo Basho. Apparently, New Year resolutions weren't for Basho, too, and who are we to argue with him? (Even more so since he's dead).

Happy new year, and best wishes for 2019!
Thomas

Mike C. said...

Happy New Year, Thomas! I wonder if Basho got that hat and those sandals for Christmas?

Mike

Thomas Rink said...

You mean, like, "My parents were on vacation and all they brought me were this stupid hat and sandals"?

Best, Thomas

Mike C. said...

Thomas,

We may finally have discovered the reason Basho took the narrow road to the far north in the first place!

Mike

Andrew said...

It sounds like I can safely resolve to comment on your blog at least monthly, and then nobody will mind when I inevitably fail. Thanks for all the words and pictures last year, and I look forward to more in 2019.
Andrew

Mike C. said...

Andrew,

A good resolution -- I won't ask what personal shortcoming it is paired with...

Happy New Year!

Mike

Andy Sharp said...

Hi Mike

As one successful solution to the problem of staying alive to another ... (a group that includes not only us but the sheep we farm, the cats we pet, the trees we climb, the bacteria we host) age seems to be resurrecting my inner philosopher and thoughts and attempted conversations feel like they're shifting up a metaphorical level. Thinking about thinking about the nature of time; that sort of thing. For example .....

Last year I began to learn to play the piano, practicing in tiny short bursts while waiting for the kettle to boil.

I'm sure I remember Eric Idle doing a programme on the telly about medieval Britain in which he referred to the popular unit of time "a pissing while" (which it seems for all mammals, from mice to elephants, is about 21 seconds (with the notable exception of older men with enlarged prostates)) so I suppose this might be called "a kettle boiling while".

Predictably, progress has been geological (glaciers move surprisingly quickly) and the book can stay on the same page for weeks. The challenge has been not to care and to resist the siren calls from others in the household to get a move on and play something else. She thinks it should be about progress, but what I'm playing with is process (note that I don't say what it should be about because I've really got no bloody idea (actually I don't think it should be about anything but that's another meta-story))

So, instead of learning to play the piano (which I know I could never be any good at) I'm playing at seeing how slowly you can learn without quite giving up.

n.b most "kettle boiling whiles" get filled by other domestic tasks such as tidying the table, putting away the washing up, turning over damp laundry on the radiators, so this is not quite as much practice as you might think.

Hope this all feels vaguely relevant

Happy New Year

Andy

Mike C. said...

Happy New Year, Andy!

Mice can pee for 21 seconds? I'm surprised there's any mouse left after that.

I'm picking through your comment carefully for the nuggets of wisdom, but in the meantime step away from that sherry bottle, sir, and play a scale or two!

Mike

Andy Sharp said...

Mike

It turns out the mouse bit was hypobole (is this a word that deserves to exist?) on my part. Turns out the 21 seconds only applies to mammals larger than rats (Live Science article link) which can pee in streams unlike mice which. a bit like me, do it in a series of drips.

Mike C. said...

Andy,

Well, that's a relief... I had visions of de-peed mice lying around like little deflated balloons.

I trust you've had that plumbing checked? No good saying "it's just age", trust me. Insist on a PSA test (which doesn't stand for "Phinger Stuck up Arse").

Mike

Andy Sharp said...

Mike

I've been fully checked, I do exaggerate a bit, and it isn't getting any worse.

I remember reading once that frequently getting up in the night to pee wasn't because of any change in bladder capacity but an increased sensitivity to the urge to go.

By way of supporting evidence, when I broke the head of my femur a few years back and had to have it bolted back together, I was unable to pass water into the compressed paper bottle for the entire day and had to warn them before I went into Theatre. Speaking to one of the male nurses a couple of weeks later, when I met him on the street while still on my crutches, I was told that they'd drained 1.5 litres (think big pop bottle).

Doesn't stop me getting up though...The only thing that would do that would be a rainy night in a cold tent.

Andy

Mike C. said...

Andy,

Reason enough never to spend another rainy night in a cold tent! Not so much life is too short as the night is too long...

One of my consultants asked how often I got up: I said usually two or three. He said, Crikey, *I* sometimes have to get up more often than that!

Mike